Historic Langhorne Association
Home About Contact Hours Newsletter Collections
HISTORY of LANGHORNE, Pennsylvania
Langhorne began in the 17th century as a crossroads called Four Lanes End. The road from Bristol to Durham intersected with the road between Philadelphia and Trenton at the center of the village.
(Click here for more detailed history)
The village intersection still has the Langhorne Hotel built in 1704; the Langhorne Community House built by Joseph Richardson in 1738; and the Hicks House built by Gilbert Hicks in 1763 and the birthplace of Edward Hicks the American folk artist. Hicks, a 19th century Quaker leader, painted more than 60 "Peaceable Kingdoms" illustrating, the vision of the biblical prophet Isaiah. Click here for historic articles on Richardson House and Langhorne Hotel
From 1793-1801 Edward Hicks lived at 109 W. Maple Avenue in Langhorne as an apprentice coach and sign painter. He became a member of the nearby Middletown Friends Meeting in 1803 and married Sarah Worstall there on November 17 that year. Parry Building or Hicks House
During the Revolutionary War, Langhorne was a refuge for American soldiers. A Revolutionary Cemetery is located at South Bellevue Avenue and Flowers Avenue.
Revolutionary War Burial Site
Before and during the Civil War, it was a station in the Underground Railway connecting with Princeton and New York. The village became known as Attleboro until 1876, when it was incorporated and named for Jeremiah Langhorne, an early resident of the area and former chief justice of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
The one farm in Langhorne Borough was bought and farmed by Mr. & Mrs. Edward Vogenberger until their death in 1976. Now the Langhorne Heritage Farm/Julius Lojeski Acres, which is owned by the Borough of Langhorne, has land available for garden plots and for community gatherings.